Making Lamb Pound Cake For Easter

It's been a busy two days before Easter getting things done. One of the eastern european christian traditions we follow every year is the baking of the Easter lambs. I went ahead and made them yesterday and they turned out tasty as usual. My recipe for this treat can be found under my Czech recipe listings on the right side of this blog. Pound cake is an interesting dessert as the cake does not call for any rising agents such as baking powder or soda. The recipe is so simple when you consider it's name and the ingredients.."Pound standing for pound of butter, pound of sugar, pound of eggs, and pound of flour. I have never taken the time to measure each item to confirm if that is really true. I don't really eat too much pound cake throughout the year, so preparing the Easter lamb pound cakes in this metal mold really makes the holiday even more fun. This is a tradition my wife and I will hopefully have success passing along to our children. A couple of tricks to remember when you bake these. Number one, make sure you adequately grease (I use crisco) every nook and cranny of the lamb mold. Once you have applied a generous amount of shortening, give the pan a little dusting of flour. This pre-baking prep will allow the Lamb to slide out much easier after it is removed from the oven. The second tip, is to place toothpicks in the ears prior to placing the second half of the mold on top of the first mold. The ears are a very fragile part of the lamb and the picks will keep them secured to the head. The third tip, is to remove the lamb after the mold has cooled off ten minutes after being removed from the oven. If desired take the extra measures and decorate with easter grass, jelly beans, and frosting and coconut (resemble "wool"). I am content with a generous dusting of confectioners sugar. Maybe I am weird like this, but I even like to occasionally toast (lightly) a slice of pound cake. Happy Easter everyone.

Comments

  1. Hello!

    I have been looking for a recipe for Sekanice (Easter Meatloaf pronounced Seca-neetz-ah). My Grandmother's recipe has gone missing and have so far had difficulty finding one that seems similar. I know she used both pork and veal, bread soaked in broth and a ton of garlic. I do have some other Czech recipes you do not have listed if you're interested including: Bread Dumplings, Kolache (different than yours)and something called Fleche (Egg Noodles, Cottage Ham casserole). Thank you for any help!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a recipe for Fleche. I have searched for one with no luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Svickova (Marinated Beef)

Easy to Make Bohemian Rye Bread

Czech Donuts