Mayo Free Coleslaw

As the weather starts to heat up I like to cook out more frequently on the weekends. I like to fire up the grill and enjoy the outdoors as the kids play in the backyard and I can avoid using the stove and oven creating unnecessary heat in the home. Grill food is always a treat especially when accompanied by a tasty side dish and cold beverage. One of my favorite spring and summer side dishes to serve with barbecue is coleslaw. I have had coleslaw prepared so many different ways that you really can’t mess it up. Coleslaw in essence is cabbage salad with your choice of additional vegetables and a dressing to bind the salad together. I have tasted oriental slaw, three-cabbage slaw, broccoli slaw, and many others. For years we have prepared the traditional mayonnaise based coleslaw and it is delicious as always. As with all foods, it is good to prepare and try new alternatives to traditional dishes. My father has created a mayo free coleslaw recipe that goes great with pulled pork sandwiches (as a topping), burgers and even fried chicken. I love this recipe as it holds up well to the summer heat (no fear of spoilage), and it is very nutritious. This recipe is open to adaptation of your own choosing. I enjoy a lot of colors in my slaw so I sometimes will opt for half red cabbage/green cabbage in the recipe below. Keep this mayo free coleslaw in mind for your next cookout.

Mayo Free Coleslaw



Small head of cabbage, chopped
Carrots, shredded
Celery, diced
Onion, 1 Tablespoon grated



Dressing

2/3 cup cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt
Pepper



Mix dressing ingredients, add more or less to your liking.



Mix dressing with combined vegetables.



Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I've not been by to check your recipes in quite a while. The coleslaw sounds yummy.
    Have you ever visited the internet site for Czech American Television? I think they are based in Chicago. I found out about it when my cousin was featured doing pysanky (she is known in our town as "the egg lady"). They also feature Czech recipes.
    Here's the address in case you aren't familiar with it: http://catvusa.com/

    Na shledanou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nola,

    Big thank you for the weblink! Yes, CzechTV is televised on local chicago cable networks every Wednesday at 7 pm Central. Those outside the viewing area can streamline the weekly broadcast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Svickova (Marinated Beef)

Easy to Make Bohemian Rye Bread

Czech Donuts